Friday, June 22, 2007

"The End of an Era"

So say the Sci Fi promos for the Stargate: SG-1 series finale tonight.

After ten years, I'll no longer have a new adventure to look forward to. Okay, technically for me it hasn't been ten years straight, since I didn't have Showtime for the first couple of years. And I've still got Stargate: Atlantis, but it's not the same. And the show changed when Richard Dean Anderson left, but it's still good. One of the few shows that I thought didn't go totally blah when there was a major cast change (unlike, say, Northern Exposure).

I started watching SG-1 because of Richard Dean Anderson - I grew up watching MacGyver (from age 13-21 or thereabouts), and loved him in Legend - the series, not the movie - and having Legend on DVD would make me deliriously happy. I had to wait until the syndicated re-runs started showing, a year behind the Showtime episodes, but I think I liked the show from the beginning. Loved may be a better word. Some of the first DVDs I bought, I think, were the SG-1 box sets. There was a confusing year when I was watching the Jonas Quinn season in syndication and finally started watching the first-run episodes on SciFi, where Daniel Jackson was back. Trying to figure out what went on was interesting.

But, I've watched every episode. I watched through the Jonas Quinn debacle, Teal'c's bizarre chin-worm experiment, Michael Shanks leaving and returning, Richard Dean Anderson taking more of a background role, RDA retiring, Cameron Mitchell taking over, the introduction of Vala (who I like more and more), Teal'c with hair, and the not-so-interesting Ori, among other things. (You know it's bad when the main villain of a series is nicknamed "B'Ori" and "Sn'Ori" in some online forums.)


Tonight is the Last New Episode Ever (except for 2 movies, which I assume are TV-movies or direct-to-DVD). I hope they got Richard Dean Anderson and Don Davis back for a scene or two. I've been gorging on SciFi's all-day marathons all week, even though I have all the DVDs. I'm going to miss this show.

But we still haven't met the Furlings, darn it! And I swear, if the nitwits in charge kill off any major or minor characters, I'll be severely cranked at them.

I was hoping to get to sit down with some ice cream to drown my sorrows while I watch, but it ain't happening. My last riding lesson is tonight, so I'll be home around 8:00 and can catch the second showing, but we'll be juggling dinner, showers, El Burrito's bath, and preparations for the family reunion tomorrow. Gah.

No comments: