Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Crib wars and stuff

What's up here?

I found out that the 30,000 mile service on my car will run about $350, and they don't really do anything other than changing the oil and filters, and inspecting bits and pieces. Oy.

I've got a lot of stories from the family reunion last weekend (DH's father's family). More on that tomorrow, maybe.

El Burrito is having sleep problems. As in, he absolutely refuses to sleep in his crib at night about 75% of the time lately. Napping in it during the day? Noooo problem. Pop a tired Burrito in the crib, he plays a bit with Eeyore and Jingle Pony, and ten minutes later he's out like a light.

But at night? At night, we get unending sobbing, to the point that he's making himself sick. It doesn't matter if the lights are on or off, whether the TV in the next room is on or off, if every light in the place is on or off. It's full-on sobbing, not angry screams, not "bumped my head" crying, and not the "I'm so tired I can't keep my eyes open, but all the gold in Fort Knox can't make me admit it" fussing (which usually stops mid-fuss when he conks out). We can't think of anything that's changed recently that could have started this mess. And I can only handle the sobbing for 15 minutes before I'm ready to give in, because even after that long he shows no signs of giving in. Unlike the sleep-fighter fussing, which tapers off after a few minutes.

Overall, it's not a big problem - he slept with us for a while, because he outgrew the bassinett before the crib mattress arrived (thanks to a back-order that wasn't mentioned on the website). But he's mobile now, and if I wake up early, I'm reluctant to leave him unsupervised on the bed. He's already crawled off the bed once while I was changing his diaper, and I'd rather not do that again, thanksverymuch. And waking him up early just throws our schedule (meager as it is) off that much more. Sigh.

1 comment:

wrnglrjan said...

This is going to sound like absolute insanity, but have you tried putting him to bed a little earlier?

Totally counterintuitive, but if he sounds overtired when he cries, it could be that he's overtired before you put him down and too kind of wound up/punchy to sleep easily.