Thursday, May 10, 2007

Things that bug me

Random things that bug me:

  • Spam email. Nuff said.
  • Chain letter emails. I was getting some from a name I didn't recognize recently. Finally thought to do a search in my email program (Eudora) and found out they were from someone I'd purchased from on Ebay about 18 months ago. Sent a polite request to be taken off their list, and we'll see if it works.
  • Chain letter emails, part 2. I got one this morning from a relative. She does email *me* as well, unlike some friends who only send out the impersonal forwarded junk. This one bugged me because of this:
Once you have been hit, you have to hit 15 pretty Moms.
If you get hit again, YOU will know you are REALLY pretty!
If you break the chain, you'll have ugliness for 10 years,
So hit 15 pretty moms on your friends list to let them know they are pretty (but you know you are beautiful no matter what, mama!)! "

Gee, thanks. So if I don't know anyone else bored enough to bounce this around with, I'm not pretty? Sorry folks, I don't think I know 15 other moms, pretty or otherwise.

She also sent this to my sister, who isn't a mother unless you count the dogs and cat. Which leads to the next thing that bugs me:

  • The insane greeting-card industry. Take Mother's Day. I think, in my opinion, that on this day I should send a card to my mother, DH sends one to his mom, and DH buys one for El Burrito to give me. Hallmark, on the other hand, has Mother's Day cards for everyone - mothers, grandmothers, aunts, sisters, nieces, and more. I saw a Mother's Day card from the dog. I don't get it. Okay, I do, it's all about the money. But sending a Mother's Day card to someone who isn't a) your mother or b) a mother at all, makes no sense to me. I don't send my husband a Mother's Day card. You don't send someone a birthday card if it isn't their birthday, or a holiday card when it isn't that holiday, right?
  • Having to turn the AC on in early May. We broke down last week. At 10:00 that night, it was 67 degrees outside, but 82 inside. Even with both doors open and a fan parked out on the deck, supposedly blowing cool air in, this place wouldn't cool down. And there was a nice breeze, but not blowing in a direction we could take advantage of. We have a door on the west wall, and one on the north wall partially shielded by the next building, so the air circulation is not optimal (and that's an understatement).

No comments: