Monday, May 7, 2007

Forward progress

Well, a bit, anyway.

  • I've got a stack of magazines that are leaving the premises, one way or another. Right now I've offered them on Freecycle. If there are no takers, they get recycled. The library doesn't want them and they aren't worth trying to Ebay them. DH calls it "giving them back to the trees" - it's an attempt to get past my resistance to throwing away anything that's still useful.
  • We got the laundry sorted yesterday, and went through a couple of laundry baskets of "stuff" in the process. Now we can walk into the walk-in closet, and there's a basket of Stuff to Get Rid Of, and one of Things to Pack With (i.e. fabric and non-summer clothes that I can wrap my Breyers in as I pack them up).
  • We got the shopping done on Saturday, mailed a few pics that Mom needed, and remembered to get Mothers Day cards as we walked past the Hallmark store at the mall.
  • As part of the "eat healthier" idea, I finally sliced up the jicama I bought about two weeks ago, along with half a 5-pound bag of carrots that were starting to sprout roots (and grey spots). So I have 2 Ziploc tubs of sliced munchies in the fridge.
Otherwise, not an amazing amount of progress, but some. I just ordered a copy of The Children of Hurin, the new Tolkien, which is apparently in short supply. No first edition for me, and I bet a first edition would be worth something someday. I guess I should have ordered last week, since Amazon now has it at 2-5 weeks for delivery and I've been watching it in my Cart for a month now. Sigh.

I'm still bummed about Gilmore Girls, and about Stargate, especially since my copy of the episodes I missed hasn't shown up yet.

Had some luck at Target this weekend, and found a camcorder case marked down to 75% off. It fits our camcorder perfectly.

We had some weather-related luck yesterday, and didn't get hit with the quarter- and golf ball-sized hail that was in the area. That's nice, because we don't have covered parking, and while it didn't bother me for the Lumina (our former car) to get dinged, the new-to-us Taurus still looks nice, and hail dings would have been a sad thing to see. We did get some heavy rain, and of course the storm hit just as we were ready to walk out the door on the way to a church anniversary celebration. We skipped the celebration and dinner, and watched our worthless local weather channel instead. It's a waste of a channel - it used to show the weather radar about 50% of the time, until they started running commercials and other such junk. Yesterday, with some nice storms coming at us from Kansas, they didn't show the radar until about 10 minutes before it hit here. Too bad for people west of town, I guess.

I've been looking at old digital cameras online. I'm thinking of getting an older Olympus FE series to use as a purse camera, hoping to escape the same Duh moment that led to the injury to the 3020. If I keep an eye out, I should be able to get one for $60 or so. And lately I've been thinking of dabbling in infrared photography for kicks, which would mean shopping for an even older Olympus, hopefully for $40 or so. I haven't been watching those long enough to get an idea on prices, but it's something to think about. Not that I need another hobby or anything.

And that's about it for my world at the moment. Off to do more laundry.

No comments: