Friday, May 4, 2007

Riding lessons

(I'm not good at titles for these. Just saying.)
(Does anyone read this, or am I writing for the electrons' enjoyment?)

I got an email yesterday with this year's riding program information. It starts in about four weeks, so I need to do some thinking about whether to attempt it or not. I'm wondering how insane I am to even think about it. I'm out of shape, definitely overweight, and have been on a horse once in the past 11 years. I just put some numbers into one of the online BMI calculators, and it's not a happy thing. Last time I went riding, in Ireland, it took three tries before I could haul myself up into the saddle. I don't think anything has changed for the better in the meantime.

The lessons are two hours each, and depending on which session you take, the lessons are two, three, or five times a week. The prices are different, so it works out to about $16 per hour no matter what, which is nice. But 4 or 6 hours a week, when I haven't been on a horse in years, is a bit daunting. I was hoping to have been at least walking regularly, but it hasn't happened. (I also swore to do some work packing and decluttering this week. Also hasn't happened. It's Friday and I've done squat this week.)

If I'm even going to consider it, I'd need at the least, an approved helmet, boots, and probably some pants. I've only got two pairs of jeans that fit right now, and as much as I love Lee jeans, the inseam is nasty when you think about riding in them. I forgot to dig out my old boots last time I was home, but I doubt they'd fit after 11 years, so a new pair is probably the only option. And I'm not sure a month is enough time to break a pair in, assuming I could find a pair that fit around here. Having wide feet stinks. Finding a pair of New Balance shoes was a hassle, and finding Rockports that fit was a freaking miracle last time.

Plus there's the whole headache of scheduling things, since El Burrito isn't old enough yet to stay home alone. He's almost a year old and has never been left with anyone not-family yet, so we don't have a regular (or otherwise) babysitter or anything. Depending on the session time, DH might be able to vary his work hours a bit, but for a few sessions that wouldn't work.

Yes, I'm a pessimist. I need to spend the weekend thinking about this, and see if I can talk myself into it. Adding up the total costs, both money and the time spent finding boots & a helmet, could convince me to skip it again this year.

Feh. It's Friday, and two hours of Stargate usually cheers me up. But, since there are only 7 or 8 episodes of SG-1 left, I don't see a lot of cheery thoughts for the night.

1 comment:

wrnglrjan said...

1. I read pretty regularly. If you go here: www.activemeter.com you can install a little tool that shows you all your hits. It's free.

2. Go to Goodwill and buy yourself some jeans and see if they'll let you use a bike helmet (much cheaper). Remember that people that don't ride always have trouble mounting -- it's just easy to blame the fat for everything (though obviously it makes it a little tougher). Lots of places that give lessons prefer you to use a mounting block anyway, because it's easier on their horses' backs.

So, yeah, obviously I'm in the "go for it" camp.

Jan

P.S. Hadn't heard the news about GG. Boooo!