Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Progress!

First, astronomy-type stuff. Astronomy Picture of the Day has an awesome picture today, of the Moon/Venus conjunction last weekend. I have my own pictures of the same thing, but haven't got them off the camera yet. It looked pretty awesome, though.

Also, from SpaceWeather.com, I found a link to UNESCO's International Initiative in Defence of the Quality of the Night Sky as Mankind’s Scientific, Cultural and Environmental Right. I haven't read the PDF yet, but I'm assuming that the goal is somewhat similar to the International Dark Sky Association.


Progress was made today.

  • I tagged and notified four people for the meme - because I can't come up with eight, sadly.
  • I scrubbed up the big box of Peek-a-Blocks that I got on Ebay last month. Grand total - 54 blocks from Ebay, plus 12 for El Burrito's birthday, and 6 that we got previously.
  • I also washed all of El Burrito's bottles, pacifiers, bowls, spoons, and a handful of toys.
  • I weighed a package that may be going to Australia - 3 Roper (tm) shirts that Mom bought me on clearance many years ago. I'm nudging her slowly away from buying clothes for me. I've got more than enough right now, and sometimes our tastes aren't really aligned.
  • I'm taking notes from a few books that the library really wants back - they're overdue enough that my account is blocked. No renewing, placing holds, or check-outs til those two go back.
  • I won an auction on Ebay for something that I've been looking for for a while. Pictures to come as soon as it arrives.
I still haven't watched the last episode of Veronica Mars, which was on last night. I've realized that after the reruns are over, I'll have three shows left on "network" television that I watch - Lost, NCIS, and The Unit. I really like NCIS, although the finale last night left me confused, and The Unit is more DH's show than mine, although I watch it.

I'm ambivalent about Lost, because if this show was a book, I would really be skimming paragraphs and skipping ahead a page at a time to see if anything important ever happens. It's an interesting story at times, but there are a few irritating characters (Juliet), one really really creepy one (Ben) and not enough answers to the big questions, like how did the pilot end up in that tree? And why is no one suggesting that Sayid be the leader? Because he may be from "the other side," being former Republican Army, but when it comes to a conflict with The Others, I'd much rather have ex-military Sayid in charge than a medical doctor with issues.

The majority of our TV viewing (which probably needs to be trimmed a bit) will be on the cable networks after this month. With the loss of Gilmore Girls, Veronica Mars, The Black Donnelleys, and a few others, I can take a few more of the network channels out of the remote control now. I see no reason to torture myself by watching the crap that CW and Fox are planning.

On the other hand, Sci Fi and USA are in charge of some pretty good stuff. Monk is good, and Psych is like an over-the-top Monk at times. Eureka will be back on Sci Fi, and hopefully Dresden Files also returns. Then we've got Deadliest Catch and Mythbusters, and The 4400 if it ever comes back around.

I just need to get over the loss of Stargate, which I've been watching for years, and the changes I've heard about with Stargate: Atlantis.


More random tidbits:
  • Ebates is no longer giving their 6% rebate for Joann.com purchases. Hopefully it'll be back on the list before my next yarn order.
  • My sister liked the spa washcloths I crocheted her (with some of the yarn from Joann.com).
  • Earworm of the Day: Do Your Ears Hang Low? thanks to the Laugh N Learn Puppy that my brother & his girlfriend got El Burrito for his birthday. It's a nice change from Itsy Bitsy Spider.

I'm turning into my grandmother. She could never keep the names of her kids or grandkids straight, even before the dementia set in. Over the weekend, I was mixing El Burrito's name and my brother's name way too frequently, considering that they don't sound alike. DH has done this once, calling El Burrito by one of DH's nephew's names.

No comments: