Saturday, July 12, 2008

Still quiet

Yeah. Not much happening on the blog, is there. Turns out DH also took the last two days off as well. Which I found out when the alarm went off Thursday morning and he didn't get up.

That nice most-of-a-week of "me time" without the Burrito? Riiiight. Not so much on the "alone" part, since DH was home for all of it (other than Wednesday afternoon). And we spent a good part of it doing what we usually do on weekends - sitting around, usually in front of the TV. Inertia is lovely stuff. I love the man, but I can only take so much channel-flipping and news-channel hollering before I tell him to pick a channel and stay there. And the Burrito is coming home tomorrow afternoon, so it's back to the same old thing as of Monday. Sigh.

We did have some fun and get some stuff done around here, though. Went out to dinner at a seafood place to use a gift certificate, went to the movies to see Wall-E, ran some errands, nothing exciting. We went through some paperwork, did some filing, and I've emptied the shredder bin 4 times so far (small bin, though). And there are 4 bags of paper recycling to go out on Monday morning, with more to come.

I did take DH flea-marketing one afternoon. I was hoping to find some Breyers, but the only luck we had was finding toys for El Burrito. I saw two hilariously overpriced Breyers; the dealers don't seem to realize that the company is still in business, so the models aren't all "vintage" and priceless. Ha. $17 for something that's still available at Target for $11.99? Don't think so, thanks.

We did find a couple of Cars (tm) cars in good shape for $1 each (although the unopened ones were going for $5), and some older Ertl tractors at a reasonable price, plus a dump truck that he should love. They weren't as cheap as the new ones, but the older toys were built better. The new Ertl tractors are 90% plastic now, and all identical except for color. The ones my brother played with as a kid, and the ones we just bought El Burrito, are mostly metal, and are really scaled-down versions of specific tractor models, rather than the generic things they make today. I'd rather pay $4 for an older one than $4 or $5 for a newer one that won't hold up as well. Little Brother put a lot of hours on his old ones, and other than a little missing paint, they're still going strong. The new ones won't hold up that well, I'm sure. Someone from the Ertl company was at the Red Power Round Up last month, and if I'd known, I would have gone to their little presentation and possibly given them a little feedback. Because honestly, the $2.99 Cars (tm) cars are built better than the $4.95 Ertls these days, and that's sad.

News flash: apparently I missed the window of opportunity to leave feedback for a lousy Ebay seller. Darn. I bought a plush Grover back in April, paid that day, and it took them two weeks to ship the darn thing. The postmark was dated the day after I sent the first of three (I think) emails, none of which were answered. That would be why their feedback is down to a lovely 94% right now.

No comments: