Monday, July 14, 2008

Gardening

I got to do a little gardening recently (if you can call it "gardening" when it's all in containers).


This is an agave, I think, that I've had for a couple of years. It's in a 4-inch pot, and probably is due for either a larger pot, or division. Got it at Walmart on clearance, so I need to look up its habits again.


This is part of the oxalis/shamrock jungle. I started with 2 medium-sized pots of green oxalis from the hardware store. Those got divided and repotted, and I ended up with three pots, although one is kinda skimpy (the one on the left there). The one in the upper right is one of two new plants I got on clearance this year. For $1 each, I had to bring them home. I think they're a different variety; the leaves are shaped a bit differently.

This spring, I finally bought some of the purple oxalis I've been wanting for a while. I ended up getting it online, because it was cheaper than buying something locally. These are Oxalis triangularis, and I love them. You can kind of tell from this picture that they were started inside. The early growth was long and lanky, but since I moved almost everything outside, the new growth is much shorter. Some of the stems are just barely long enough for the leaves to miss the ground.

One of the plants just bloomed last week, and the flowers are slightly pinkish, while the green oxalis blossoms are white.


Last month, while we were at Lowe's buying appliances, I picked up a 4-pack of jade plants, which I'd also been wanting for a while. I finally got around to potting the poor things this weekend, but being succulents, they handled a month in plastic "pots" fairly well. I had to play musical pots with a couple of spider plants so the jade could have a clay pot, but I think it'll do better in clay than plastic, especially since I didn't have any sand to mix into the potting soil.


And, last but not least, I've got some tree-lets (they're too young to be saplings, I think) growing in cups. We've got a beautiful pin oak right outside our door, which I would gladly take with us when we move, if it were feasible. I picked up some of its acorns last fall, with plans of sprouting them. Right now, though, there are dozens of tiny trees sprouting under the tree, so I just dug up a few of them. Most of them still have the acorn stuck to the sprout, but at least one had a foot-long tap root too. I've got 5 right now, I think, and hopefully at least one will survive until we can move and plant it at the new place.

No comments: