Friday, December 14, 2018

Odd movies

The current winner for slowest movie I've ever seen, and strangest, is Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du Commerce,1080 Bruxelles.  Belgian movie, I think, from 1970ish.


I watched it on TCM last week, recorded actually, and it took most of three lunchtimes to finish it.  It's 3 hours and 20  minutes long, no soundtrack music that I recall, and very, very little dialogue.  Two main actors, a couple of bit-part shopkeepers.  There's a 3-minute scene of Jeanne mixing the meat for meatloaf.  I kept going, with liberal use of the FFW button, because the synopsis mentioned a murder, and I was really wondering why and how a murder ended up in this very benign movie.

Yeah.  The murder happens at 3:10, I'm still not sure what the motive was, and the last seven minutes is a shot of Jeanne sitting at the dining table with blood on her blouse and hands. 

I'm glad TCM runs foreign films in the wee hours, but I'm also glad I didn't pay to watch this. Ha ha.

No comments: