Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Library Day craziness

Interesting trip to the library today.

First, we got there early enough that I grabbed 5 minutes of computer time and downloaded about 2.5 hours of podcast stuff (the new YarnCraft, plus a couple weeks of archived 365 Days of Astronomy 'casts from last month). And El Burrito was cooperative for that, which isn't always the case.

Then, the book-cart sale. Where El Burrito wasn't crazy about standing near me, got a compliment on his beautiful blue eyes from the woman at the coffee kiosk, and then he found a book. Not just any book, or even a kid-level book, which there were plenty of. No, he latched onto something he found on the History cart, and insisted on having it.What did he buy?




Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Volume 4. Vintage "Everyman's Library" printing from the 1960s.

I kid you not. Only 50 cents. And in a fuchsia and white paper dustcover, which might have been the attraction.

(Now, I'm definitely not of the "buy them something in every checkout line" school, or even of the "buy something to prevent a meltdown" camp. At least not usually. But this time, I gave in.)

That's my boy. Go for the oddball stuff.

We returned 4 books and checked out 2, so right now we have 33 items out and 6 on hold. And we need to go through El Burrito's stack again, since it's got my stack outnumbered.

No comments: