Saturday, March 26, 2011

They must be kidding, right?

The weather forecast is calling for 2-6 inches of SNOW in the area this weekend!! Seriously.

So I was out in the dark trying to cover up the irises with newspaper - not helped by the fact that I have a lot of newspaper, but not much heavy stuff to weight it down with. The worst of it will be tomorrow night, so I have time to cobble together something better. The irises, lilies, and hostas are already out, and the Bradford pear is starting to bloom. The pear's on it's own, but I'd like to protect at least the irises and some of the lilies. I just moved the irises last weekend, so they're not quite settled in yet. One I bought last year and it's been in a container since then; the others that were transplanted were living under the evergreen foundation plantings. I'm surprised they were still alive. The second clump of irises is in a better spot, but could stand some dividing. (I swear, the people who lived here the past two years were clueless about this stuff.)

So much for my plan of knocking a raised bed together this weekend and seeding some spinach and radishes. And dividing/moving the mass of lilies we have - someone must have gotten a heck of a deal, they're everywhere. No clue yet what they look like, I don't think they were blooming when we looked at the house. Have to see if I still have the house-hunting pics. I hope they aren't all Stella D'Oro - Stellas are common around here, a little variety is nice sometimes.

No comments: