Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Just a little garden/flower update.

The delphiniums survived and are blooming, but they're drowning in a sea of coreopsis, so I need to move something this fall.  The perennials are doing well, the so-called annual snapdragons survived the winter, and we're knee-deep in volunteer tomatoes.  The only things doing well in the garden are the volunteer potatoes and maybe the peas.  But, I didn't plant enough peas, so we've basically got enough to snack on in the garden (18 plants isn't enough),. 

Also, I ate two pods of peas this weekend, and I think I'll have to add peas to the list of foods I can't eat raw.  Pretty sure it's Oral Allergy Syndrome, from what Google came up with.  Certain foods, if I eat them raw, make my mouth itch.  So far, the list includes carrots, apples, peas, cherries, and a couple others.  Peas are new, cherries were added last year (after I found Rainier cherries on sale, darn the luck).  In other words, all the cheap, easy-to-find snack veg are off-limits right now.  If it gets to the point where watermelon and broccoli are included, things will be dire.  Cooked foods do'n't bother me (another signs of OAS).  I g uess it's time to go see an allergist.

Anyway, I planted some things last night:  2 gallons of cranberry ice dianthus that I got for Mother's Day (which had already bloomed when I got it), the last two annual dahlias that were getting leggy in the house, 3 green bell peppers, some nicotiana, cucumber seeds, watermelon plants, and canteloupe plants. 

The mailbox bed is full of volunteer marigolds, zinnias, and cosmos, but they're all runts.  Not sure if it's a fertilizer issue or a water issue.  The primrose is looking more like a weed - it's planning a coup.  The delphinum seed never came up, but the peppers (bell, some dwarf) are ready to harden off.  The watermelon and pumpkin seedlings are all leggy and scrawny, but I'll plant them if I can find a spot.  Can't hurt.  Need to start the milkweed and figure out what went wrong with the delphies.

No comments: