Thursday, July 2, 2009

More riding

Summer riding, night 2 (of six total). It was a lot cooler today - the high was only 82, and it was either 75 or 79 as I drove home (at 9:45).

I still can't remember how I had the boots laced last year, and they're still digging into my ankle. On Friday, I may try an extra layer of sock, just over the ankle. And it would probably help if I wore them around some more, because I doubt they're really broken in yet. Part of the problem may also be the fenders on the western saddles; if they're not set right, it can put some torque on your knees & ankles. (A broom handle through the stirrups while the saddle's on the rack will help this.)

Anyway. Lots of trotting tonight. Some issues with turning left, which I think was my fault for holding the rein out to the side too far. Which was weird, because as we were warming up at a walk, I had Peyton doing some nice serpentine-like lines down the sides of the arena, no problem. Maybe I was trying too hard later. Also some issues with getting a trot, but only in the indoor. I could get a trot at the end of the arena, and then it would sputter out halfway down the side, no matter how I kicked, squeezed, poked, or clucked. Jordan (assistant teacher) got a lunge whip, since there weren't any riding crops in the indoor, and after just showing it to Mr Peyton, he cocked an ear and decided to trot after all.

We did some nice patterns on the obstacle course, after Peyton was convinced to trot. He still hasn't done that nice little jog-trot from last year - I haven't asked for it yet, and he's wearing a snaffle this year, which may put him in a different mindset - but I love his walk. It's smooth and a walk with some purpose behind it, most of the time. Not the motivated but filling-loosening walk that my last horse had - it was fast, but if I was the least bit tense in my back, it felt like my teeth were being jarred loose.

Sara said the plan is to work on the basics this week, and then maybe some loping next week. If I can get our act together, I guess. I need to remember how I was asking for things last year, because I'd bet part of it is just that I'm not asking for things the right way. And the rest is probably that it's summer and Peyton's apparently one of those essentially lazy horses. So, I need to figure out the boot lacing, try to get the stirrups short enough to use but long enough not to kill my ankles (we do post, even in the Western class), and remember to use a steady squeeze, not an intermittent one.

No comments: