Friday, June 29, 2007

Sleep and fish

But not at the same time. :)

For the fish? Well, I really need to get rid of Squiggy, the Biggest Plecostomus Ever. He's the reason I can't get the ammonia levels in the tank under control. Which is why one of the platies is, right now, hanging out down by the gravel, gasping a bit. Which is also why I spent half an hour this afternoon draining about 5 gallons of water from the tank and replacing it with fresh. Which would be when I discovered that there's a new fishlet in the tank. The fishlet right now is smaller than a watermelon seed, and hard to photograph.

Anyway. The brother-in-law with a 55-gallon aquarium called this afternoon (to get me to look up a phone number), and I tried again to persuade him that he needs another pleco. No go. So I need to call Petco and the other pet store in town and see if anyone will take Squiggy. Otherwise, it's Freecycle or maybe smuggling him into the goldfish pond at the garden.

Sleepwise, today has been better as far as the Crib War is going. I think. El Burrito refused to nap in the crib yesterday, and instead took two naps in the playpen in the living room. Last night, we wedged the playpen into a corner of the bedroom (the only place it would fit) and he slept there. I let him sleep as long as he wanted, which turned out to be 9:15. He was still sleepy after breakfast, which he confirmed by scratching me a few times and breaking the skin at least once. At this rate, I'll be trimming his nails twice a day in self-defense. Anyway, after the scratching, I plopped Senor Burrito in his crib (shock!) and got about 30 seconds of quiet fussing (shock!!!). After which, he zonked out for a solid 2.5 hours. And woke up in a much better humor, in spite of the noxious diaper. Maybe we're on the recovery end of this thing. Not that I'm wanting to jinx it or anything.

No comments: